Monday 31 March 2014

Disaster!

Well, this looks like being the shortest blog in history. And this is the reason.

John and I took our bikes to Lake Vyrnwy in Wales for a cycling day out. A lovely spot, and a lovely day once the early mist dispersed.
The dam through the trees

Still waters
We cycled around one side of the lake, on a quiet road with almost more cyclists and runners than cars and decided to take a detour on the green trail to Rhiwargor waterfall. We climbed up to the falls themselves, where a couple of families were actually taking a dip! Wow, brave.





On the way back to the bikes we had to cross the stream on stepping stones and thats when it happened: one foot on a wet rock and I was suddenly in the water with my right foot down between 2 rocks. I do have a photo of the goose-egg sized lump that appeared on my ankle immediately but I'll spare you that. After cooling it in the stream for as long as I could bear we had to work out how to get back to the car park near the dam. I found I could cycle with one foot and just rest the other on the pedal, and managed the 5 miles back to the carpark where I came to rest against the back of the pick-up. Thankfully it was all flat or downhill, I'd never have managed an uphill slope. 
Single footed cycling

At the time I was sure I'd just twisted it, but we called in at Warwick A&E on the way home and 3 hours and 2 x-rays later discovered I had actually broken my tibia and despite my pleading that I was due to go cycling in Cuba in 3 weeks, they slapped on a plaster cast (17th of the day, must have been the spring sunshine enticing everyone out).

So....


unless at the fracture clinic on Wednesday they miraculously say it was all a mistake and it was a hair on the camera, not a break at all. I'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

now I've worked out how to enable it, feel free to add a comment!