Saturday 26 April 2014

They're off!

Well, the rest of the group have now left for Cuba. Vicky had last minute panics about bike bag (borrowed) vs bike box (new), decided to buy a bike box, found she could get lots into it but it was then overweight, and I think she ended up with various bike bits in her luggage. She also took most of the notebooks, pencils etc that I'd been given to take  to the Abel SantamarĂ­a School in Havana, hopefully not at the expense of her clothes.

So, they actually left on Thursday morning - I tracked the fight out of Gatwick on my phone.

Half past one today (8.30 am there) I had a phone call from Vicky who said she had intended to send daily updates by text but that doesn't seem to work, so she rang. The group (not cyclists yet, they only re-assembled the bikes today) is made up of 5 women and 9 men. They have had a walking tour of Havana, which she was glad I wasn't attempting on crutches or wheelchair as it was over very uneven ground. Friday they had a long bus ride to Spiritus Sancti from where they start the ride. You can look on the Cuba Solidarity website and check the itinerary  which I have just done.

I'll keep you updated on their movements as and when I get a report. First cycling day tomorrow! 

Meanwhile what's been happening back on the ranch? 
Little Appenzellar Spitzhauben sporting a punk hairdo.
 I do hope this is a hen - what will we do with a A S cockerel???
First quail egg 
 The quail, who are currently residing in the greenhouse while John and Joe make them a vermin-proof run, are 7 weeks old and have started to lay eggs - well one of them has laid one egg.  Bit precocious eh?

John had to move the 'railway carriage' (aka 'goods van') in which he put a barbecue, out of the courtyard to make way for the boat he bought in Hastings in January. But that's OK, it needed to be somewhere to catch the evening sun, and now it is. Don't think I'll be venturing up there myself for a little while though.
The railway truck moved to its new home

Last but not least I had a letter yesterday telling me I have to do jury service in June. Managed to avoid broken bones AND jury service for 63 years and then they both come along at once. Can't say I'm looking forward to it, anyone who knows me well will know I don't do decisions. Now I may be forced to come down off the fence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

now I've worked out how to enable it, feel free to add a comment!